Sunday, June 5, 2016

Where my heart is

I was born on an island in the Caribbean. English is not my primary language. I guess some of you realized that. When I moved to the Unites States, looking for the American dream, I leave behind a very large family. My father was one of 16 siblings and my mother was one of  7 siblings. I have cousins that I never reach to know but thanks to the technology I can maintain contact with some of them.

The first year here I felt very nostalgic. I miss my parents, my home, my customs. Years later my parents moved close to me and later on my brothers also did so.

One day we were invited  to the island to participate in a series of concerts. We decided to pass by the neighborhood were we lived before. There was the house  where I grew up,worn down by the time. And something inside of me said " This is not home anymore".

I realized that life is like a journey in a train where you will have to get off in one station and never go back to the place you were before. That for some reason a bird born in a nest but it will has to leave to create its own nest. That beside we all live in the same planet, home will be where our hearts is. Near those we love most.

And while I live in this great nation, that gave me the opportunity to grow and learn new things, I enjoy every day the blessing to see the faces of those that I love. Because this is home now, where my heart is.





No comments:

Post a Comment