Friday, April 29, 2016

When a loved one struggles with mental illness

When someone is physically ill, you take them soup and offer them a blanket. But how do you show support for someone struggling with a mental illness?

 One day my father told me, "Glenda I am not doing well, something is happening in my mind" Two months later my father was diagnosed with Dementia.

Dementia is a group of thinking and social symptoms that interferes with daily functioning. Can't be cured, it can last for years or be lifelong. Symptoms include forgetfulness, confusion, mental decline, disorientation, anxiety, hallucination among others.

For three months in a roll, I cried every night. Asking God why? Why my father? The most kind, humble, responsible person. That work so hard so my brothers and I can have an education.

Every day I tell him the same story, Who am I and who is him. I had learned to understand him.

1.To ask him simple questions.
2. To listen him with me ears, eyes and heart.
3. To respond him with affection.
4. To remember him the good old days.

Now we are taking care of him the same way he took care of us. Accepting God's will and understanding that he has a purpose.

While passing the time, I stick to the hope that I have in God. That one day I will see my father restore and healthy. On that day he will recognize me and will call me by my name.






No comments:

Post a Comment